RECIPE – Gruyere Mac & Cheese
My mom gave me a beautiful piece of Cretan Gruyere cheese so I thought I’d give a new spin to an old classic!
Gruyere Mac & Cheese
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 cup light double cream or milk
- 1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp mustard powder
- 1/4 cayenne pepper
- Salt & Pepper
- Cook pasta in salted boiling water for 9-13 minutes or according to package instructions.
- While pasta is cooking, melt butter over medium heat in a small saucepan.
- Add flour and stir with a whisk until flour and butter are incorporated. Cook for a couple minutes until golden brown.
- Stir in cream or milk. Cook for a few minutes until sauce thickens. Remove from heat.
- Stir spices and cheese into sauce.
- Drain pasta and return to pan. Stir in sauce.
- Dig in!
Tip: If your sauce is too thick you can thin it down with a bit of the pasta water.